Global Handwashing Day!

Global Handwashing Day!

My Pueblo Viejo Home

My Pueblo Viejo Home

My Pueblo Viejo Home

My Pueblo Viejo Home

My Latrine and Shower

My Latrine and Shower

Some of My Host Siblings

Some of My Host Siblings

Sunday, May 2, 2010

peeping belizean

Monday

There's never a dull moment as a PCT.... or at least not for me! So I woke up early motivated to run... (mostly b/c something fell onto our zinc roof at 5:30am and woke me up). Matt and Dan weren't out so I decided it was safe enough to venture on my own... The run was good and i sprinted the last stretch into our front yard. I was pacing and trying to catch my breath as I turn around to a guy who I thought was peeing oddly close to the road.... Well, as I walked around my front yard I realized he wasn't peeing.... yea, awkward. You fill in the blanks.... He stood there for awhile, being creepy. Yuck! Bad news bears! Only things like this happen to me! Yikes!
That was a great start to my Monday morning!!! Eeek! We had Tech Training in Cristo Rey all day & I was exhausted when I got home, so I decided to watch a movie w/the fam & let Alana paint my nails.... I now have bright teal nails that are about an inch thick! hahaha So I decided to watch Along Came Polly with my family, thinking it's pretty harmless and good to watch with both the guys and Alana. Well, you know how you don't notice small little jokes until they are about people you are with? That totally happened to me.... If you know the scene where Ben Stiller clogs the toilet and is tryin to use the loofah to get it out ...Well he says, "please God if you make this go down I'll do anything... I'll adopt a small Mayan child....etc" Talk about AWKWARD!!! ahhh! What are the odds???!!! hahaha
Tuesday
The next day I had a cute family moment looking at some old pics Mrs Sotz had of the family... The most recent ones are at least 5 years old, but she was so excited to share them with me! It was so cute. Language training was pretty boring and pointless both in the morning and afternoon.... I'm over training!!! hahaha It was so hot & Mr Cal didn't really care about the lesson either.... Blah. The only good part about Tues was our meetings with Austin about our permanent sites! All the signs seem to be pointing me to Punta Gorda....we will see if that's what happens!
That night we did yoga at the PC office.... Talk about stereotypical PC experience! hahaha but it was fantastic! We ate dinner in Belmopan before going home.... A pretty boring day for the most part. It seems like the heat has made me so lazy!
Wednesday I tried to wake up late in order to skip breakfast.... it didn't work. hahaha We had no water, so I had to bathe in a makeshift way to try to not smell for the day (luckily I had showered the night before!) In class we learned about some Mayan traditions like the Greasy Pole ceremony & watched a bunch of clips of different festivals.... It was really cool! Then we all took a trip to Matt's host grandpa's house to talk to him in depth about the ceremonies. Pablo is the funniest old man! He speaks pretty good English and is just a riot! But his house was a little bit gross and covered in flies and dirty dishes and food & it just had a general stench. Ugh! We went to leave and Mr Cal's truck died! So Matt, Dan, and I had to push his truck up a hill to get it started & it actually worked! I felt like a real country girl... go us! hahaha They would think I was lame for saying that...... hahahahahaha.

That night was one of the weirder/sadder ones at my host family. Mrs Sotz has diabetes and she was having some sort of severe stomach pains that she attributed to that and also "worms". I'm not sure what was going on, but she couldn't get out of the hammock and it was really frightening! Sofia and I spent an hour pushing as hard as we could on her belly in various areas to try to alleviate the pain. It was intense. I felt so bad for her and also so helpless b/c I didn't know what exactly was wrong and how to fix the problem. She goes to a bush doctor, so I'm not even sure what they told her was wrong. It's just complicated I guess. Anyway, after helping her I decided to do a pilates workout video and TurboJam b/c I wanted to keep working out. My whole family laughed at me and thought I was crazy, but I was glad I did it! After I finished, I came to find out that Mrs Sotz had added $10 worth of credit to my phone for helping her out! (We buy credits here, not phone plans). It was the sweetest thing in the world and so unncessary! But I was glad to have that little bonding moment with my family =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Washing Pan Di Rock

Washing Pan Di Rock
Crique Jute Village