Global Handwashing Day!

Global Handwashing Day!

My Pueblo Viejo Home

My Pueblo Viejo Home

My Pueblo Viejo Home

My Pueblo Viejo Home

My Latrine and Shower

My Latrine and Shower

Some of My Host Siblings

Some of My Host Siblings

Monday, May 31, 2010

Swearing In!!!!!!

Friday was the day we've been waiting for..... Swearing In Ceremony!!!! woot woot! We officially became volunteers! REAL PEOPLE! hahaha. (B/c trainees are NOT real people)

We all got dolled up and looked like normal people on Friday to head to the Governor General's House, the Belize House. It was a nice ceremony... not too long, which is always good, but still very sweet! We all took "prom pics" before and after... because, let's be honest, we don't get to dress up too often down here! hahaha. Zach gave our volunteer speech and he was awesome. Then we had speakers from each language give a quick thank you in that language. I had to do the Maya speech and I was so nervous! As is our San Martin way, Matt and Dan came up with me because I ended my speech in a song we made up and we all sang it together. It was cute and I think our host families all really liked it. And they could all understand my Maya!

All three of our host families from San Martin showed up, which was so nice! We didn't really know if they would come or not, so it was great! After the ceremony, we all kinda hung out w/our host families. We took some pics and chatted with them. Out of my family, Mrs Sotz, Sofia, Alana, Recarda, her baby, Anastacia, her daughter and daughter-in-law, Hector, and Bernardo all came. It was so nice! I didn't expect them to all come! It made my day!

After Swearing In we had some time to kill before our big football game!! New PCVs vs all the other PCVs. I have to admit, I had talked a lot of trash to the older guys, so I was hoping I wasn't going to regret it! The new PCVs always lose is what I was told. So we started off and we were down 1-0 the first half...but our team was holding their own! Finally, in the second half we tied it up and even took the lead 2-1 with only 5 minutes left! But, then they came back with a second goal in less than 3 and we ended in a tie! Some people wanted to go into a shootout, but we were late for our next thing on the agenda for the day... and everybody knows shootouts are the worst way to end a game. Ugh, hate shootouts. Even so, I was so proud of our team! They were awesome! And, Bernardo even came to watch our game! I thought he would play and help us out, but he just watched. I was excited he came to see me play for once! Prove my skills, hahaha.

After the game we showered quickly for our dinner at the Ambassador's house! The Ambassador's compound was like going into the Truman Show! Everything was perfect and seemed unreal! His house was gorgeous! We had appetizers and an open bar, with wine!, and an amazing meal!!! It was Indian food... and so delicious!!! I almost exploded, I ate so much!!! hahaha. It was fantastic!!! haha We handed out our superlatives and some of the guys played music for us, and it was the perfect end to the 2 months of training. And we were VOLUNTEERS!!!! hahaha FINALLY!

After the nice and proper event at the Ambassador's house, we all went back to the classy Garden to party! Enough said about that....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Washing Pan Di Rock

Washing Pan Di Rock
Crique Jute Village