Global Handwashing Day!

Global Handwashing Day!

My Pueblo Viejo Home

My Pueblo Viejo Home

My Pueblo Viejo Home

My Pueblo Viejo Home

My Latrine and Shower

My Latrine and Shower

Some of My Host Siblings

Some of My Host Siblings

Sunday, May 2, 2010

busy busy

Thursday

I tried to skip breakfast again by being late and Mrs Sotz sent Choni on bicycle with a packed breakfast for me instead! Ugh, I felt so bad & didn't even want to eat! I guess skipping breakfast is really not an option.... lol
That morning we had class w/ Mr Cal and got to go visit with a bush doctor! It was a really cool complex where he lived & we got to see a bunch of herbs he uses for various cures. The guy was a tiny man with about 2 teeth and really not the healthiest looking individual. Still it was a cool morning session & we got to explore the Maya Mopan village as well. That afternoon we gave our HFLE presentations at Kuxlin Ha Gov't School. I was kinda nervous about teaching kids, but it ended up turning out really great! I taught Infant II, which is the equivalent of 1st grade, & they were pretty well behave & seemed to learn some things about personal hygiene by the time I was done. It was definitely a good experience.... and at least I didn't have to do private parts! (that was Dan's topic! hahaha)
After our presentations, we went to PC for sessions with Chanda, homework time, & yoga again. So many ppl went to yoga that night! (b/c all the Dangriga ppl were in town for the night). It was really fun & we all hung out at the good ole Garden City hotel afterwards. It was actually the latest the San Martin crew stayed out yet! I had gotten a key to let myself in the house and Dan left his window open & Matt's room is separate with a key of his own, so we all could stay out w/out keeping our families up waiting! It was a hilarious night and we had a blast!

Friday

PC Day! I woke up trying to act like I hadn't been out late the night before, but I still got weird looks and questions. Oh how I love being a teenager again! lol.San Martin didn't have water again in the morning, so I had to get clean as best as possible. Fail!
Our sessions on Friday were actually really fun! (the constant lecture sessions had been getting a bit tiring). We did like 2 hours of group games, which were hilarious and funny. One of the games was a spiderweb w/38 holes for all 38 of us and we had to get everyone through the holes without touching the string & every hole can only be used once. It took us over an hour to do but it was awesome! I went through one of the top holes and had to be lifted through and caught on the other side.... I guess it's kinda hard to describe in writing. We also got to meet our new Country Director that morning! She is SO nice and seems really genuine! I'm excited to work with her!
The rest of the day was a lot of crammed sessions with Nurse Jackie before our last Development talk with Bryan! Bryan is amazing. He gave such a great motivational talk. It really made you reevaluate your reasons for coming here and why even little changes are so important. It was definitely an inspiring end to the day and week....

That night we ate in Belmopan and hung out at Andy's for awhile before heading home. It wasn't really a late night for us b/c pretty much everyone was exhausted from the night before. When I got home, Mrs Sotz was sick again in the hammock. She was sitting with a bowl of burning hair under her... I was so confused! I asked Nardo what was happening and he explained to me that she had gotten frightened by something which had caused her to get worms which caused her stomach pains and thus she had to burn her hair and cleanse herself with it and then each person in the family had to cut a chunk of their hair to burn and cleanse her with. It was so fascinating, but totally strange! The entire kitchen house smelled like burning hair.... It was weird!  Just another piece of Mayan culture I was introduced to!

Saturday
May! I can't believe it's May already! Saturday was a great day! We had a meeting with NAVCO in the morning before the Agricultural Show, which is a huge 3-day fair in Belize. People come from all over the country and it's  complete madness! We went around to all the booths, drank some beers, went to the river, & rode some rides. It was a very long and fun day! Choni and Dora, my host nephew, were both at the fair and every time I saw them they were WAY drunker! It was funny, but I was glad they never saw me drinking b/c that could get me a worse rep than I already have! hahaha. Afterwards we all went to one of the 2nd year PCV's house to hang out. Of course, Matt went to Brodie's to get some rum and who bags up his purchase? My other host brother, Dino! I can't escape them! On top of that, Alana was outside the store and talked to Matt asking when I would be home and what I was doing. OMG! haha. We had another late night out, but it was a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Washing Pan Di Rock

Washing Pan Di Rock
Crique Jute Village