Global Handwashing Day!

Global Handwashing Day!

My Pueblo Viejo Home

My Pueblo Viejo Home

My Pueblo Viejo Home

My Pueblo Viejo Home

My Latrine and Shower

My Latrine and Shower

Some of My Host Siblings

Some of My Host Siblings

Sunday, April 25, 2010

my life is uncomfortable.... or hilarious??!

Upon returning home after my last blog, I was greeted by a huge, naked Mayan woman.... no, this time a different naked encounter. Mrs Sotz's oldest daughter, Anastasia, was visiting and hanging out in the nude when I walked in on Thursday....to top it off, her attempt at covering up was to put her tiny arm in front of the nipple area...... very unsuccessfully. Oy vey! I averted my eyes and tried to pretend I was very busy behind my curtain. I finally left and hung out with the guys til she got some clothes on!! After that awkward experience, I had a really great night with my host family! Mr Cal had told us that Mrs Sotz does Mayan dances in festivals, so I asked her about her dancing & she got all embarrassed but was so excited to share her culture with me! She, of course, would not dance for me, but she did make Alana put on all the traditional Mayan attire (even the special hair ribbon) & dance for me. The dresses are made by her & they are SO intricate and beautiful!  I took a video & some pics & they were all so excited by my camera! Alana & Eluvia proceeded to put on a few puppet shows, plays, & dances for me that night, (mostly to see themselves on video), but they were all about me, Matt, and Dan. It was so sweet & too cute!

The next day I was exhausted b/c my pet rat came back to visit! There are 2 things I really seem to dread in Belize: meals and bedtime. Which, funny enough, were my two favorite parts of the day in the States! jeez!
So anyway, I woke up at like 2am & could NOT sleep.... so I wrote a poem about PC Belize! (I will share it at some point when it is perfected.... lol). Friday was a PC day....always a goodie! Mostly the interaction w/everyone is good....usually I get bored with the lectures.... it's mostly stuff you need to know but you are too tired to really pay attention. However, Nurse Jackie did do a stress talk and ppl were volunteered to tell stories about their host family situation.... Dan talked about his family & then I was convinced to tell my host brother frying my laptop story which Nurse Jackie was so mad about! I immediately regretted opening my mouth! It is a pretty sucky story, but nobody seems to have any solution.... Oh well....

After training, we hit Pasquales! yay! We had some pizza & beer til the Dangriga ppl caught their bus. The rest of us headed to a PCVs for some fusball (?I dont know how to spell) & Belikin. It was great to hang out for the evening, even though we had to be back for curfew by 9pm. As soon as I got home, my family asked if I was drunk.... hahahahaa. They think I'm crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Washing Pan Di Rock

Washing Pan Di Rock
Crique Jute Village