Global Handwashing Day!

Global Handwashing Day!

My Pueblo Viejo Home

My Pueblo Viejo Home

My Pueblo Viejo Home

My Pueblo Viejo Home

My Latrine and Shower

My Latrine and Shower

Some of My Host Siblings

Some of My Host Siblings

Thursday, April 22, 2010

chukuh!!

Our little reunion is Belmopan was great before going back to our host families! It was Matt A's bday, so we hung out for a bit and I tried Papaya wine for the first wine!! ...very interesting... lol.
I was not looking forward to coming back to San Martin after all that fun, but it was a surprisingly great reunion! My host family was genuinely excited to see me & hear about my weekend! and I even got hugged by Dino when I gave him the FIFA PS2 game! (Thanks Matt, they were SO SO excited to have a "real" game! The only versions they get are bootlegged.... You are great!)
And they have finished almost ALL of the new toilets they are putting in!!! ANDDDD, they are FLUSH toilets!!! .... I'm getting so spoiled.... lol.
I also cut myself on my windowsill.... now i have a huge gash on my back.... I'm such a klutz! haha

But, everyday I am reminded that I do, in fact, live in the jungle....Spiders & roaches & rats during dinner.... oh belize it! I woke up dreading going back to training on Tuesday morning.... a great 4-20: language class all day! oy! It was long & tiring.... ugh. The girls were kinda annoying all day b/c they hadn't seen me, so I got really no privacy...but that's how kids are in general.... haha not a Belize thing! We now have 2 extra people in our house: Mrs Sotz oldest daughter and one of her sons. Her son, Evangelisto, goes to high school in the area so he stays during the week. And Anastasia is one of the aunts & she just hangs out for periods of time. (they live in Armenia, a village not too far away). So quarters are a little tighter, but that always makes things so much more interesting! haha Anastasia also made some great-smelling gingerbread! But I did see a cockroach crawl into a pot on the stove & I watched the amount of lard she put into it.... I just could NOT bring myself to actual eat it.... But fresh ground ginger is amazing!!! hahahaha

That afternoon I went on a walk w/Dino... basically we looked at video games & he showed me off to his high school buddies at work.... Oh, sixteen year old boys.... It was funny, but he's a sweet kid.

Then there was a mini crisis at the house! Mrs Sotz's other daughter, Ricarda, (who is Alana & Eluvia's mother) was having surgery... I tried to figure out exaclty what on & it sounded closest to something like an ovarian cyst (which is ironic for anyone who knows my medical history!) Anyway, there was some drama & she was at the hospital with her 2 year old son & the newborn baby & then her husband came & took them & so she left the hospital & it was a major crisis! On TOP OF THAT, Mrs Sotz told Alana & Eluvia that their mom was going to die the next day b/c she was having surgery while upset..... OMG, suck drama! Everyone was going crazy.... understandably so. But in the end, I think Ricarda was ok... They never really all know what it happening.... It's a very confusing culture....

Anyway, to ease everyone's minds... we watched Disney movies! haha I have watched so much Disney lately! It's crazy!!! Mrs Sotz even watched Sleeping Beauty with us (again) & it was so cute... she reminded me of a little girl! I don't think she had ever seen Disney movies before. She's precious! I was exhausted on that first day back (& watching 2 disney movies in a row!) so I headed to bed... but, of course, was met by spiders galour! I had a pregnant spider in my room!!! Which has now caused a huge spider problem!!!! I was freaking out, killing spiders left & right.... I still am, lol. Ugh, I really need to take care of this siutation! Matt and Dan tease me that spiders are just attracted to me.... I'm starting to believe them!

The next day I was psyched that I had RAMEN for breakfast!!! a treat!  I was actually EARLY that day, (an hour ahead!) so I walked to Dan's for a change.... Dan's family got a new puppy!! It's so cute! But I know it will be neglected.... so sad. As Matt and I headed to Dan's, we realized we were all dressed identically..... White shirts & khaki/brown pants.... We officially hang out WAY to much! oh man. Wednesday was good b/c Cristo Rey-ers came back into town & we love seeing them!! So the day flew by. I hung out with Dan and his kids a bit after before dinner and then Matt, Dan, and I did work at Matt's and watched some Arrested Development before bed. For the first time since Matt has been here, a spider came in his room! He blames me.... hahaha. Really, is it my deodorant or what???! I don't get it!
I was a little bit pissy that night b/c I battled the spider fiasco again & the girls were not making it an easy killing event.... So I kinda of just tidied up, showered, & went to bed.... Craving some independence!!

Today was AMAZING! I used a FLUSH TOILET! They finally finished it!! I am officially in the lap of luxury!!!! On top of that, our HC group went to Cahal Pech for the afternoon (even though I just went on Sunday!)... We woke up early for language classes & then ate lunch out--a treat! The three of us got burgers & fries before heading with Chanda to San Ignacio! It was great! Then we all explored the ruins (& I got to be a bit more touristy!) & took LOTS of pics.... they will be online soon.... sad. But yea, it was so great! After the ruins, we spent the WHOLE afternoon in the resort pool.... AMAZING! We stayed there til we were all pruney & it was well after 5..... What a fantastic day!!

Oh, also... my Tech Trainer worked for Dick Clark Productions before PC & knows Dick Clark.... Dick Clark went to school w/my grandma! How weird & cool!!! Random....

Tomorrow is another PC Friday so we get to see everyone!! I think the Mopan-eers are going to watch Along Came Polly now.... So I'm gone.  I've been told to blog about what I should be sent.... so I'm gonna try that... lol.

ps: chukuh is "it's hot!" in Mopan...

1 comment:

  1. i'm beginning to think i need a family tree or some kind of diagram to keep up with all the people you are living with!

    ReplyDelete

Washing Pan Di Rock

Washing Pan Di Rock
Crique Jute Village