Global Handwashing Day!

Global Handwashing Day!

My Pueblo Viejo Home

My Pueblo Viejo Home

My Pueblo Viejo Home

My Pueblo Viejo Home

My Latrine and Shower

My Latrine and Shower

Some of My Host Siblings

Some of My Host Siblings

Monday, April 19, 2010

gardening!

Sunday we built a garden! We sharpened our battered machetes from the cohune adventure & headed to Dan's house to build our very own little vegetable patch! So cute! I never knew gardening was such hard work!! (That is probably why I never helped my mom garden all those summers in NY when she would spend endless hours in the sun.....) hahaha! Sorry Mom! We made our own fence out of sticks & cohune leaves, even with a gate to get inside! It's pretty classy... I'll post pics one of these days...
Dan's kids "helped" us with the garden, which basically meant they stole our tools and broke things.... haha But they did actually find us some really good black dirt, which turned into a big project for the 7 of them. they were cute & by the end of the afternoon we had racked up about 10+ kids helpings us out!
after the garden I had empanadas for lunch! so SO good! best meal yet.... loved it! I ate & headed out w/ Choni & Dino to a Bernardo's soccer tourney! We show up to the field and, I kid you not, there were 60 men & not a single woman.... Wow, talk about out of place. But whatever, it was so cool to watch these guys play, many of them without any shoes! Crazy! I started kicking around with Choni & then some of the younger boys wanted to shoot with me & stuff. It was fun & I got a good sweat in for the day. I came home a little before the tournament ended to do ALL MY LAUNDRY! Now, if you need a good arm workout in your life, get rid of your washer and dryer & do your laundry mayan-style. Oh man! My arms were like jello when I finished!!! It's so hard to do laundry! And my family even has a spinner, which is less work! Jeez, I can't wait til I'm in the river & it's even more work! ahhh!  When Choni got home, he told me all the guys at the field said that Gringa could really control the futbol.... Ahh, my favorite thing to hear.... hahahaha. 

The next day was another Cristo Rey day! Cristo Rey is beautiful!!! It's in the hills and a spanish speaking village & just so gorgeous! We had a great day of training.... lots of motivation & info! We got to see all the Cristo Rey ppl's houses & the river during lunch, which they are in palaces compared to us!!!!!! Oh man! After sessions, we convinced Chanda to take us to the waterfalls for an hour or so.... she's awesome & agreed!  The falls were so pretty! It was such an amazing place! You could jump off the rocks & swim & there was no one there but us. So much fun!!!   Then, on the way home, we followed a tractor full of cow intestines..... only in Belize. =)
That night I was able to call my parents for their anniversary! Always love calling home.... Then we did some homework at PC before going home.... My host family asked me if I was drunk..... They hate me..... hahaha I was completely sober! Oh my life..... They judge this radical gringa!!! hahahahaa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Washing Pan Di Rock

Washing Pan Di Rock
Crique Jute Village