Global Handwashing Day!

Global Handwashing Day!

My Pueblo Viejo Home

My Pueblo Viejo Home

My Pueblo Viejo Home

My Pueblo Viejo Home

My Latrine and Shower

My Latrine and Shower

Some of My Host Siblings

Some of My Host Siblings

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Week in the life....

I haven't blogged in forever! The highlights of my life.....

Tuesday (6/8):
Tuesday morning I came into the office and my co-workers had seen me on tv from the PG game the past weekend! The post office guys saw me too! I was so embarrassed! But it helped me with some integration points, because now I'm that white football girl who was on tv! hahahaha
Later on that afternoon, I got a bike!! I bought it from some random bike guy who sells bike's out of his home--- he paints them all black, so I feel like there's a good chance they are stolen bikes. hahahaha Nonetheless, he put a new seat and handlebars and everything on it, so I'm good to go! (Too bad my host family's dog bit through my new seat and chewed up my handlebars the 2nd day!)
Tuesday night I started practicing football with the men's team: the Jah Roots. I love these Rasta men! They are my new friends in PG! They are good, good! But I can hold my own--it's a blast! I earned their respect the first night by scoring a goal! Wohoo!

Wednesday (6/9):
I went to San Marcos village with Samuel. We got dropped off by the driver...who then went to a  village on the border of Guat before coming back to get us. We got to San Marcos at 8:30.... walked the couple miles into and through the village (which I loved!!) and then did our supervisions. Samuel and I had some pretty good chats.... I learned a lot about that man. lol. Everything from thoughts on life, childhood discipline, Mayan traditions, and dating.... semi-awkward! hahaha We finished and were back to the main road by 10:30. Then, Samuel and I sat on the side of the highway til 1:30!!!! So dumb! Such poor planning! I wasted the whole day! I should've just hitched!
Anyway, the rest of the afternoon I spent preparing my nutrition presentation for the village meetings the following day-- I felt so productive! I went home and ate some kaldo kax--yum! Mrs Assi asked me if I liked hot tea... I told her I did not. Five minutes later she gave me a cup of tea..... what?? hahaha Later that evening I had some bonding time with Antoinette and Cornelia-- my host sisters. They are 18 and 16, respectively..and so great! We talked about Antionette's work drama going on and it was just fun acting like an older sis to them! I love them because they are so cheerful and carefree! They are great! They respect their parents and the Maya traditions of their families, but they do their own things when they can (which is not often at home--Ant has to wait til she's back at university in Belmopan). They are typical teenage girls.... it's cute. I love that they respect their parents and their culture, but they have their own minds and realize the way of the world...
Anyway, I finished the night off with Mrs Assi telling me a story about how her son, Nester, got badly injured once and it scared her so much that she lost the ability to produce breastmilk, so Cornelia was never breastfed. I love the interesting little stories I get to experience everyday! hahhaha

Thursday (6/10):
I was rushed to finish my breakfast because the truck picked me up for work at 7:30....only to roam around town and stop at various people's houses for the next hour. Oh Belize! We did our morning supervisions around the villages and then headed to San Jose. We had lunch in San Jose at one of the Rover's house before our Parenting Session. I was nervous, but excited to do my nutrition talk! Samuel was supposed to run the session--but he didn't prepare anything, so I ended up being the main talk of the event! Luckily, San Jose is our ONE Mopan village, so I started my talk off in Mayan and then explained that I would be doing the actual seminar in English..... I was so proud of myself!!! yay! I think the talk went REALLY well! I was so excited! People asked a lot of questions afterwards and it was really good. The only confusion was the people in the village thought I was coming to replace their current volunteer, Patrick, because Samuel introduced me as a Peace Corps. So I had to quickly jump in and explain that they may see me around town, but I am NOT the San Jose volunteer! hahaha We headed home and had a staff meeting w/the big boss, Shawn. It went well.... Samuel sounded really productive the way he talked in the meeting....which is, well, no comment.
The rest of the night I played football, ate, and went to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Washing Pan Di Rock

Washing Pan Di Rock
Crique Jute Village