Global Handwashing Day!

Global Handwashing Day!

My Pueblo Viejo Home

My Pueblo Viejo Home

My Pueblo Viejo Home

My Pueblo Viejo Home

My Latrine and Shower

My Latrine and Shower

Some of My Host Siblings

Some of My Host Siblings

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Dear Napkin, How I Miss You So....

Anyone who knows me even a little bit or has had the pleasure to dine with me knows how much I value my napkins....

I like to dig in and enjoy the disaster of messy eating, knowing after every bite I can regain my ladylike image with a swift wipe of the napkin. Well, in Belize...things are different!

People don't believe in napkins here in Belize... I mean, maybe they do, but throughout my host family experiences, I have yet to see a napkin.....not even a papertowel! But I just can't understand how they do it! On top of the fact that they don't use silverware either! I can't figure out how to use a tortilla to eat kaldo or pigtail or eggs and NOT get it all over my fingers and my face!! It's a mystery to me!

Kaldo is the worst of it.... you have spices and chicken and sometimes a potato or two. I just stick my hands in the bowl and really dig in.... but at the end of the meal, everyone else looks the same way they did before and I'm covered in remnants of all these ingredients!

Peace Corps goal 4: master the art of clean tortilla eating!

1 comment:

  1. oh mal, how i miss dining hall meals with piles of napkins! i definitely always think of you when i see a big pile of them. if i send you a package, it might just be filled with napkins.

    ReplyDelete

Washing Pan Di Rock

Washing Pan Di Rock
Crique Jute Village