Global Handwashing Day!

Global Handwashing Day!

My Pueblo Viejo Home

My Pueblo Viejo Home

My Pueblo Viejo Home

My Pueblo Viejo Home

My Latrine and Shower

My Latrine and Shower

Some of My Host Siblings

Some of My Host Siblings

Monday, September 27, 2010

sorry, sorry, sorry!!!!

Hello, hello!!!

I'm so very sorry for keeping my oh-so-interesting (maybe?) life private the past 2 months!!! I think I procrastinated and then....well, it became a daunting task!

I'm working on giving you a full-updated blog --in separate doses...so it's not overwhelming....

But here's the recent jist:

I have officially been in Belize for 6 months!! Can you believe it?? I can't! Essentially, it's the end of "freshmen year" if you wanna look at it in college terms.... Wow. Time has flown by! I feel like I just got here! It's crazy!!!

We survived Tropical Storm Matthew!! It was supposed to hit us directly and there was quite a lot of panic around Belize! The WHOLE country closed school down! I thought it was kinda funny to go watch the news at the local restaurant and hear her say "All schools are closed." Kinda crazy how small this country is!!
Anyway, Matthew ended up to just be a little bit of rain.... I guess a good bit of rain, but no real wind or anything exciting... I actually did my laundry while we were getting "into shelter." hahaha

In other news, I'm slowly becoming the emperor of Belize... Yes, you heard right. Emperor Maaaallly. I am officially the ONLY person working for my organization in Toledo District. Unfortunately, though I am really digging the whole almost-Emperor status, this is not really my role as a PCV.... so I'm working with Peace Corps to figure out a happy medium with my org, so I can help them out, but not be running the show... I'm not here to replace Belizeans for free labor... I'm here to help Belizean counterparts in a sustainable way-- it's not sustainable if there is nobody here to sustain it in 2 years!!!

As far as housing goes: I'm am no longer the nomad of Peace Corps! I officially have a house! Hurray! I'm living no longer in Indian Ville, bu on the south side of PG. It's my first house I've ever lived in on my own, though I am living with another PCV who will be in country for another month or so. But essentially, I am finally settled! So that's one thing that's off my back!

In other news, my football team won 2nd place in the Belize Women's National Tournament.... and I made it in the newspaper! It came out about 5 days after the game--news doesn't travel fast here, I guess!-- but it's a full article about the Gentle Touch Strikers, (yes, that's our name), and it's got color pics! And I got a medal! wohoo- best souvenir ever!!

Oh, and then I biked 26 miles in a relay triatholon!! My team came in 11th place... but not last!!!! hahahaha We also got a medal! (But everyone who participated did...so I guess that doesn't say much! haha) BUT, I was very proud of myself for completing the 26 miles of biking. Of all the 3 sports I could've been in, I got the one I've never done before!! Running and swimming are wayyy more comfortable for me! So I was proud I didn't die! OR get hit by a car--because they didn't stop traffic! Even though I did get lost twice, once in a traffic circle and I ran into a street sign with my bike and broke my toe.... The other in a ghetto neighborhood in Belize City.... well, let's be honest, all the neighborhoods are ghetto in Belize City... hahahaha. Nonetheless, it was an awesome day! So many PCVs participated and we teamed up with the Embassy, so that was really cool! We had a good group of supporters who came out to cheer as well... it was a really fun day! And we ended the morning with a mimosa brunch at Pat and Kerry's house, which was the perfect end to an exhausting, but rewarding morning!

More exciting news, I am back in the technological world! I now have a netbook and thanks to the computer stylings of Greg, it's all suped up (I'm positive that's spelled wrong) with goodies that will make it awesome! yay! thanks greg!!

In Final exciting news from the Belizean desk, Dan, Matt, and I have decided to do next year's La Ruta Maya. A 178 mile canoe race from San Ignacio to Belize.... oy vey! So I'm gonna need lots of support in coming months to motivate our training!!!! We have 6 months!!! eeeek!!! I think we can do it.... maybe...I hope! hahahaha

Ok, I promise to do a real blog and give some more details, but I'm running to try to miss this GINORMOUS rain cloud about to erupt on my head....


But shout out to my Dad for quitting smoking! I'm so proud of him :)

1 comment:

  1. Finally, Mal. Glad you are back. I enjoyed it. Keep me posted.

    ReplyDelete

Washing Pan Di Rock

Washing Pan Di Rock
Crique Jute Village